Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The joys of being a classical / opera singer

 I really enjoy reading the comments from all of you readers over the last few months, and I love the e-mails I'm getting... keep them coming!  truedat504@gmail.com  or @truedat504 on Twitter.

One of the most common things I hear is how fellow singers think my "Phantom" comments to Ken Warwick were hilarious.  I consider myself a funny person, normally, and am well versed on opera jokes, but that one just came so naturally to me I didn't realize it would have that much of a response.

To anyone who "got" those comments:  You have clearly gone through the turmoil of explaining singing classically to "lay" people.   It's pretty difficult, and it almost always goes exactly the same way.

Behold, this You Tube video-  I watched it several months ago when it first came out and laughed my little bootie off.   If you thought my phantom comments were funny, you'll die watching this.  Enjoy!
What happens when a classical singer tries to explain what they do to an non-singer...

xoxo,
Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment